A situation in which a 44-year-old man barricaded himself inside a North Eddy Street home with a 3-year-old girl ended peacefully Wednesday morning with no one injured.

After releasing the girl, the man surrendered shortly before 9 a.m.

Police were called to the home, at 1309 N. Eddy, at 2:57 a.m. in response to a domestic disturbance.

DeeAnna Carpenter told police that she had been assaulted by her boyfriend, David F. Driver.

Officers tried to talk to the suspect, who ended up holding Carpenter’s 3-year-old daughter inside the home.

When officers arrived, the suspect and Carpenter were outside the house, said Capt. Dean Elliott of the Grand Island Police Department.

As soon as police arrived, the suspect went inside the house, Elliott said. The 3-year-old was already inside the house.

While he allegedly kept the 3-year-old girl with him, the suspect did not hold Carpenter inside the house during the night.

Officers negotiated with the suspect to release the girl and surrender, but he refused.

At about 8:45 a.m., the standoff was continuing. Elliott said police were not aware of any weapons in the house, except for household utensils.

The department’s tactical response team was on the scene to deal with the situation and “free up some of the patrol officers, so they were actually able to go home,” Elliott said.

Crisis negotiators were also on the scene, sporadically talking to the suspect.

“Through the course of several hours of communication back and forth we were able to successfully get him to surrender both the girl and himself without any injuries,” Elliott said after he surrendered.

A news release from GIPD says attempted negotiations, conducted by a trained negotiator, lasted five hours. Eventually, “entry was made into the residence,” the release says, and Driver “was taken into custody without any harm to the young girl.”

Driver, Carpenter and the little girl live in the house, along with a roommate who was not present, Elliott said. The GIPD news release refers to Autumn as the daughter of the barricaded subject.

“The Grand Island Police Department will continue its stance of zero tolerance for domestic violence and any act which purposefully or negligently endangers any child,” says the Police Department release.

In addition to Grand Island police and firefighters, the American Red Cross brought its disaster relief vehicle to the scene.

Driver has been charged with six felonies and two misdemeanors. The charges are third-degree domestic assault, two counts of first-degree false imprisonment, intentional child abuse, tampering with a witness, two counts of terroristic threats and obstruction of a police officer.

Sign up for TheIndependent.com Email Alerts

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.


I am the Cops & Courts Reporter for the Grand Island Independent. I welcome news tips!

Recommended for you

Load comments