The latest cookbook from Better Homes & Gardens focuses on using fresh ingredients for meals that are both simplified and quick to prepare.
“Quick Homemade: Fast, Fresh Meals in 30 Minutes” has more than 120 recipes and includes hacks for faster food prep along with advice on the best kitchen equipment for efficient cooking.
This chicken salad from the new book is a medley of fruit, cabbage and chicken with a Thai-inspired peanut butter dressing.
Sweet and Savory Chicken Salad
- 1 fresh pineapple, peeled, cored and cut lengthwise into 4 pieces
- 1/2 of a head of napa cabbage, cut crosswise into 1-inch-thick pieces, or 2 hearts romaine lettuce, halved crosswise
- One 2-1/4-to-2-1/2-pound roasted chicken, meat removed from bones and cut into bite-size pieces (remove skin if desired)
- 1 cup green and/or red seedless grapes, halved
- 1 Granny Smith apple, sliced
- 1/2 cup ginger-sesame stir-fry sauce
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
Slice pineapple pieces into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Arrange cabbage, chicken, grapes, apples slices and pineapple on a platter or individual plates.
For dressing: In a small bowl whisk together stir-fry sauce, peanut butter and crushed red pepper. If necessary, add water, 1 teaspoon at a time, to reach drizzling consistency. Drizzle dressing over salad.
Makes 4 servings
Nutrition information per serving: 529 calories, 19 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 123 mg cholesterol, 998 mg sodium, 44 g carbohydrates, 5 g fiber, 34 g sugars, 45 g protein.
Excerpted from: “Better Homes & Gardens Quick Homemade: Fast, Fresh Meals in 30 Minutes.” Reproduced by permission of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.